Tuesday, March 4, 2008

no thank you - not for me

I had what some would call a very interesting weekend away, but i would prefer to call it odd.

Thing is i used to live in a small town when i first came to UK and this just served to remind me why i prefer the anonymity of a big town. For one you can get lost in the crowd and nobody gives a toss about you other than if you hold up the queue at the local supermarket at rush hour. That's when you get glares that could fall the titanic in nanoseconds.

In a small town, especially if you're just visiting, you get strange looks from the women as they size you up and then criticise (overheard) then they proceed to analyse if you're friend or foe. The men give you the once over as they contemplate their chances with the new bait in town. All this is done before any kind of "formal" introductions are made. I avoided this like the plague and if i couldn't, i would say my hellos then proceed to be fascinated by the wallpaper. Hence coming across as cold and uninviting. Mission accomplished(yippee).

That said you do have the odd comedian who manages to have you on the floor, cracking a rib with laughter.

He sold his shamba for bride price to my father, i birthed his daughter, we left for Kenya where he loved me for eternity like i'd never been loved before. Shame the man couldn't stay upright long enough to fulfill his promises. He had over-indulged in the jeremiah waters (thoroughly intoxicated).

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that eye the women give as if saying you coming here to steal my man.. insecurities

Anonymous said...

About this bloke who sold his shamba....there is more to this story, right?

Anonymous said...

Hmmn
there is more Candy!!
will no doubt wait!

Liked the post however !

candybox said...

@be silent your probably right, but there was nothing worth stealing.lol

@31337t and mrb2b No there isn't more to it. He's just the local comedian/drunk. Im sure every pub has one. You know the guy who hustles for drinks by giving you mob stories.

Anonymous said...

Lost like never before. Kwani who drank what?

Maua said...

My swahili teacher would have said 'fafanua'. Like Bomseh, I'm lost, there has to be more.

Mo said...

Small towns SUCK.

And eh, fafanua...

candybox said...

Seriously guys there's nothing more to it. He's just a drunk who hustles for drinks in the local pub. He was just that little bit more imaginative in his quest than most. I bought him a pint and he was happy thats all.
I'd have to have been retarded to take him seriously if that's what you guys are suggesting.

Anonymous said...

*first time here and enjoying the chatter*

I join the line of lost people...if it is just the normal drunk at a local then how does the shamba and bride price come into play...

candybox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
candybox said...

It was a chat line. You know propose marriage; i fall hopelessly in love/lust then he moves in for the kill; asks me to buy him a drink.

Thankyou for visiting.

kiganda skunk said...

Like I always say, "there is no smoke without a fire-even a little fire....."

Mo said...

Lol, Kiganda. She has explained it.

Stop prying! :)

Nakeel said...

First time here like the home.

I know the look you get mostly in small towns...

Anonymous said...

whats neurosis?

candybox said...

@kiganda read the other comments as mo has suggested

@nakeel thanks for visiting aki those looks mmhh.......

@boyfulani neurosis is the madness i subscribe to.lol

Anonymous said...

I don't get why women give other women strange looks..oh well...there's alot I still need to learn.

The last bit reminded me of the "whispers" comedy thing on the Sunday Nation magazine "Lifestyle"

RIP Whispers